The Monsters Are Us



Although I have not yet read my classmates’ blogs about this book, knowing the Seton Hill University mantra of “show, don’t tell” I feel certain at least one person remarked on the fact that a large part of the narration in this book is “telling” and not showing. While most of the time I agree that it is much more effective to show the narration, in this particular instance, I think the telling technique that Stephen Dobyns employs in The Church of the Dead Girls was used quite effectively to actualize the theme of the novel.

The Church of Dead Girls is told in first person point-of-view by a narrator who is on the periphery of the action, much like Nick Carraway from The Great Gatsby. The “telling” of the narrative is used as a way to convey information after-the-fact that is not available to the first person narrator at the time of the action. The question, then, is why use this periphery character as the first person narrator? Why not use third person point of view? Or why not use a character closer to the action of the story? Maybe Franklin, or Ryan?

I believe the point of using the periphery character is to create an unreliable narrator that allows a sense of ambiguity. In this way, the reader experiences the story the same way a member of the community would have experienced it, through the gossip and rumors and second-hand knowledge that spreads fear and suspicion through a small town in this kind of crisis. We need to see the unreliable-ness of it all to understand how things can spin so totally out of control. This story is not so much about the “psycho” who is abducting and killing the girls as it is about the “psycho” that fear and suspicion bring out in all of us. It reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode “The Monsters are Due on Maple Street” where aliens attempting to eradicate the human race realize they can do it easily just by creating fear and suspicion among the humans and letting them kill each other.

This idea of the second-hand story is evident from the first page of the prologue. The narrator describes the crime scene of the attic, and he admits, “I didn’t witness this. I only looked at the photographs my cousin showed me. There were many photographs. And he said the police had a videotape of the entire attic, but I never saw it.” Here, in the 2nd paragraph of the story, we already see the theme of second-hand knowledge.

Later, this theme expands to include the damage of secrets, suspicions, and misinformation. Page 101 states this theme clearly:

I often wish that people had little screens in their chests, small television monitors, that you could flick on and see the interior lives within. I don’t mean blood pumping and lungs flexing, but what they think and worry about and love. Because otherwise it is all speculation and observing their actions, then coming up with a few possibilities that one tries to shift into the realm of probabilities.

This is what the entire novel does. As a result of “hearing” the story “told” to us through the word-of-mouth pieces of information from the periphery character, everything we know of the story is “speculation” that someone is trying to “shift into the realm of probabilities.”

What’s really interesting, though, is that while the novel may not “show” a lot of the action of the story, the use of the second-hand telling through the periphery first-person narrator shows us precisely how fear and suspicion is created by our inability to really know anyone. Yet, through the flashes of insight we get into the narrator’s mind, it also shows us that we really don’t want to see the interior of people’s lives.

Part 2 begins: “Just as we are only aware of the surface parts of one another’s minds, so are we only aware of the surface parts of one another’s behavior. We see the polite part, the public part, and we can only speculate on what exists underneath” (117). But, how can we ever be sure of what someone really is underneath? As it states at the end of the paragraph, “If the inoffensiveness of one’s public self is created by fear, then it would seem possible that one’s private self could be anything at all” (117). This lack of understanding is demonstrated again and again throughout the novel, yet the remainder of this chapter recounts an incredibly personal story of the narrator’s previous habit of watching his blind teenage neighbor masturbating in front of the window. This account does two things: first, it creates suspicion about the narrator. At this point in the story, like many others in the town would later do, I began to suspect the narrator might be the killer. Second, it makes us uncomfortable with the level of information we now possess about this narrator’s life and habits, proving that no matter how much we say we do, no one really wants to know too much about what goes on in the minds of others.

 

 

Comments

  1. As I read these books, I'm trying to respond as a casual reader and not apply literary theory. If I look at the work as a literature student, I see all the positives you mention. It is a rich and detailed world that Dobyns creates. "Showing" the narrator's inner monologue, it works on that level. And it is a well-crafted work of literature.

    If I read it as someone who just picked up the book at an airport news stand, I might be intrigued by the detailed character descriptions to pass the time, In fact, I might put the book away and retain the memory of these characters as if I knew them. I might come across a situation or conversation and forget, just for a moment, that these people were characters in a book and not people I met on a trip through their town. I don't know if I'd be pulled along through the story. It's like the story slowly comes together from several strands into a knot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand what you're saying, Jay. I agree that the average "casual" reader might not enjoy this book. For myself, however, I find it increasingly difficult to separate my literary interests from my pop culture interests. I find myself becoming increasingly bored with books that might be considered "beach reads" or "airplane reads" (ie, casual, mindless reads). I like books that can be popular and genre-centered, while still offering me a challenge or something unique to sink my teeth into and gnaw on for a while. In my opinion, the best writers are those who can appeal to both audiences--those who can tell a compelling story while simultaneously offering a deeper examination of culture/society. I think this book does a pretty good job at doing that.

      Delete
  2. By beginning with such graphic descriptions of death, I felt that the author was reaching out a hand to the less literary crowd. And once he got them on board, promising that there would be blood, he puts on his literary hat and we take a stroll through town. And every time the story starts to lull we get a little snippet of intrigue or violence to shove us back into events. This book does seem to have a foot in both casual and literary worlds, but like Tanya, I felt that it did a great job of brining them together for an exciting, yet deep, read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, I don't care about the "show don't tell" expectation when it comes to genre fiction or literary fiction. It doesn't bother me. I think Dobyns does it beautifully. The technique of telling the story from the POV of a character that initially was only an outsider exchanging gossip worked very well for me. I was very interested in each slice of life he gave us, even if it was difficult to decipher what it meant for the dead girls in the attic he framed the novel with. What bothered me was it wasn't consistent. Dobyn's mc is very present offering us his own two cents about the people whose story's he was telling up until things begin to deteriorate in Aurelius. And the last few scenes with the manhunt were in third person limited. That was a cop out for me. It's like reading Homer as if it's a historical text. He's telling the story after the fact with stark clarity, there is no speculation anymore, he gives us the events as fact yet how could this be? He wasn't there. We know from the very beginning the sources are all but secondhand. That's my issue. Continuity.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts