He Slimed Me...

I feel so funky.*

Once again, I have struggled to find something to say about this movie. Ghostbusters has been one of my favorite movies since I was 14 years old and saw it in theaters (please stop doing the math... you don't need to know how old I am). The actors, the music, the humor (Oh, those punchlines!!). I probably quote Ghostbusters more than any other movie, with the possible exception of Star Wars.

Some of my favorite lines:

Dr. Peter Venkman: What I'd really like to do is talk to Dana. Dana? It's Peter.
Dana Barrett: There is no Dana, there is only Zuul.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Oh, Zuulie, you nut, now c'mon. Just relax, c'mon. I want to talk to Dana. Dana, Dana. Can I talk to Dana?
Dana Barrett: [in an inhuman demonic voice] There is no Dana, only Zuul!
Dr. Peter Venkman: What a lovely singing voice you must have.

I have always loved this exchange and frequently quote the last line of it, particularly after someone belches.

Dana Barrett: [as The Gatekeeper] I want you inside me.
Dr. Peter Venkman: [referring to her radical change in personality] It sounds like you've got at least two or three people in there already

I remember the first time I saw this movie this line cracked me up. Maybe it was the teenager-mentality..... No, it still makes me giggle.

As they prepare to "cross the streams"
Dr. Peter Venkman: See ya on the other side, Ray.
Dr Ray Stantz: Nice working with you, Dr. Venkman.

This isn't a great line, and I doubt it was the first time it was ever said, but I use the line "see ya on the other side" all the time. And when I do use it, I'm thinking of Ghostbusters.

Gozer: [after Ray orders her to re-locate] Are you a God? [Ray looks at Peter, who nods]
Dr Ray Stantz: No.
Gozer: Then... DIE! [Lightning flies from her fingers, driving the Ghostbusters to the edge of the roof and almost off; people below scream]
Winston Zeddemore: Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Words to live by... any time someone asks me if I'm a god, I always say, "Yes."

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Mass hysteria is right... this movie is hysterical.

Dr. Peter Venkman: Mother pus bucket!

Again, I don't know if this was the first place that phrase was ever used, but I use it all the time. In fact, i even forgot it was a line from Ghostbusters. It has just become a part of my vocabulary.

And, of course, there's the most famous line:

Who ya gonna call?

Ghostbusters!

To this day, if someone asks me who I'm going to call or who they should call or who just called, I say, "Ghostbusters." The sad part is I could have posted about a dozen more lines. The movie is riddled with great dialogue.

Sorry if this blog seems trivial, but I honestly cannot think of any real critique to give. I think the actors are fabulous. With the exception of Sigourney Weaver, I am a big fan of everyone in the cast. And it's not that I don't like Weaver, I'm just not an actual fan. I'm neutral about her. I particularly liked movies with Bill Murray and Harold Ramos paired up together. I think Ramos's "straight man" is a perfect foil for Murray. The two worked well together.

Someone in another blog mentioned that the music was a bit out-dated, but I personally love the music of Ghostbusters. Maybe it is because I was a teen in the 80s, so that is "my" music. I don't know, though, 80s music is still big today. Just watch Family Guy.

I suppose if I have to complain about something, it would be the character of Winston Zeddmore. Don't get me wrong, I think Ernie Hudson does a tremendous job, and I like what the character brings to the movie, but the incorporation of his character seems... odd. Prior to this movie, Hudson was a bit actor. He had never been in any substantial role. No one knew who he was. The incorporation of an unknown black actor among an otherwise superstar cast seemed wrong, particularly because he was the only black character in the show. I don't know if I noticed it then, but as I rewatched it this time, it felt like typical 80s affirmative action. It felt like he was the "token black guy." Which is a shame because he is a solid comedic actor and could have been so much more to the show.

The only other critique I have is that there is a minor inconsistency that has always bothered me. When Dana Barrett is possessed (as the Gatekeeper) and thinks that Venkman is the Keymaster, she wants to have sex with him. This seems to be an important aspect of the storyline. The Gatekeeper and the Keymaster have to have sex to bring the "Coming of Gozer." Yet, when the Gatekeeper (Dana) does actually meet up with the Keymaster (Louis), just their being together brings on the "Goze." This seems to be an inconsistency to me. It's okay to make up your own rules, but you have to stick by them.

Comments

  1. I had a hard time posting about Ghostbusters, too. There's just so much to love!!!

    great post. Thanks for all the quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts