I Prefer the Other

It's hard not to compare the Alejandro Amenabar's movie The Others (2001) to M. Night Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense (1999), since in both cases the story is told from the point of view of the ghost who doesn't know he/she is a ghost. In my opinion, though, where Shyamalan's The Sixth Sense was, perhaps, his crowning achievement, The Others was not nearly as successful.

To be fair, I have to admit that my opinion is likely biased by my intense dislike of Nicole Kidman.

(Warning: Nicole Kidman rant about to begin)

I have never been a fan of Kidman's and have honestly avoided watching this movie for years because of it. I have only ever seen one movie with her in it where her lack of acting ability did not completely ruin the movie for me. That movie was Moulin Rouge, and the other reason that movie wasn't ruined for me was because Ewan McGregor was amazing.

My primary problem with Kidman is this:



It's that expression.


You know which expression I'm talking about.




Because with only minor variations,




it's the only one she has.



It drives me insane. Every movie I see her in, I end up paying more attention to her lack of facial expression than I do to the movie. It's total distraction.


(End rant)


I'm guessing, though, that our job was not to critique Kidman's acting, or lack there of (although I think it is a valid criticism when it becomes a distraction from the actual storyline). Unfortunately, I think the movie fell short in a few other ways as well.


Although I thought the rest of the acting was quite good (I particularly enjoyed Fionnula Flanagan--I think she has an incredible knack for playing the sweet, yet somehow slightly threatening, grandmotherly type--and Alakina Mann as young Anne Stewart), I felt that much of the mood of the story was somewhat contrived. The pulling of the drapes, the locking of the doors, and other odd little rituals all centered around this incredibly rare disorder that these children supposedly just happen to have. Even the "reveal" at the end centered around it. It felt "gimmicky." I was especially disappointed in the explanation of the door shutting. It was such a great detail and added so much suspense, I thought for sure it had something to do with keeping "the others" out. When it turned out to be nothing more than another precaution due to the children, I felt completely let down. I really think the storyline could have stood on its own. It was a good idea; it didn't need the gimmick to make it work. This random rare disease cheapened the plot.


There were other things I didn't really understand either. What was the point of the husband returning? I know he said he came to say "goodbye," but why? Maybe I missed something in the dialogue that explained that, but I didn't quite "get it." To me, it seemed like it was also gimmicky. He died in battle, she could see him, so she must be dead too. Okay, fine. I see why that might be used, but then why have him leave? It just didn't make sense. Another part that, in retrospect, did not make sense was when Grace saw Anne in her communion dress and thought Anne was the old crone. If Grace and Anne had been the living and the house was haunted by OTHER spirits, I could understand. But Grace and Anne were the ghosts. So, why was she hallucinating? Was that another ghost? I really wasn't sure of the purpose of that scene once the reveal was made.


Which brings me to the last point. I was not fooled by the twist. When I first saw The Sixth Sense, I was totally shocked by the end. I never saw it coming. With this one I knew the first time the children mentioned the time their mother went crazy (or did the bad thing... or however it was said). Maybe that's in part because of The Sixth Sense. Maybe I have become jaded and am better at looking for the hints than I was 10 years ago when I first saw The Sixth Sense, but being able to figure it out less than half way through took a bit of the wind out of the movie's already moth-eaten sails.


On the positive side, I really did think the plotline itself was quite good, and I liked the idea of the living being the interlopers. The movie was not horrible, but it's not one I would automatically recommend to someone asking for my opinion of a good ghost story. I'd stick with The Sixth Sense.

Comments

  1. I thought the husband's non-sequitur actions helped the creepy atmosphere. And it answered the question that I would have had about him, had the story ended without it. Had he never shown up, I would have said, well if they're dead, and he was in the war, and new people are moving in, years later, then what happened to him? Did he come back? He would have had to come back if he was alive. Wouldn't they have seen him, like they saw these new people? If he died, wouldn't his ghost come back? So I would have wondered.

    And I like the Kidman display. She's so emotive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The old woman that Grace sees in Anne's dress is the medium that has been working with the living family. She has been trying to make contact with the children, and when Grace sees her, it is because Anne has actually possessed her (it's mentioned toward the end of the film).

    I can see your point about the gimmicks, though I tried to look at it from a more symbolic point of view. And the Kidman photos are great. I was never a big fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, I can see your point, but it wasn't the fact that he returned that bothered me so much as the fact that he then leaves. I don't know... I just thought it was another distraction.

    Jennifer, okay... I must have missed that. As I said, I get so distracted by my Kidman bias that I zone out at times. I tried not to since this was for class, but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris told me I needed to check out your post - since I'm a Kidman fan. Okay, I have to admit - I cracked up on the facial expression montage. The actress that inspires that kind of reaction in me is Sean Young. I'd rather have my eyeballs put out with a rusty fork than watch her in anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina, I think we all have those actors/actresses that do that to us. We were talking about this in my film appreciation society meeting the other week. In men, the one that I can't stand is Nicholas Cage. Something about him just irritates the hell out of me. It bothers me too because Kidman and Cage are both in a lot of movies that I think I would like otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the problem with Kidman may be less an issue of acting ability than a fondness for Botox. Her eyeballs are the only part of her face that she can still move. I'm not a huge fan, but I actually liked her in this role for some reason. Now I will never be able to watch her without looking for that expression, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laurie, Sorry... seems I have now spoiled Kidman for a whole slew of people (hee hee). I thought it was botox too at first, but then realized she would have only been in her mid-thirties when this came out. Was she already 'toxing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOOOOOVE THIS POST. Seriously. All the Kidman photos. Thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts